The two Kouga towns of Jeffreys Bay and St Francis Bay have a bumper series of events lined up for the visitors and holiday makers for the next fortnight. There are exciting social and sporting events – designed to suit most people’s interests.
A big draw of the Kouga Winter Festival will be two sporting celebrities taking part in the festivities: former world champion surfer Mark ‘Occy’ Occhilupo who will be seen in Jeffreys Bay’s surf while Comrades Marathon legend Bruce Fordyce will feature in St Francis Bay up at the St Francis Links where he will be running. This first parkrun is the anchor of St Francis Bay’s Winter Fest.
Occy is one of the big names who have been invited to take part in the inaugural Jeffreys Bay Open of Surfing. The contest will run at Supertubes from July 9 to 13 and is the anchor event of the first Jeffreys Bay Winter Festival, organised by the JBU Surf Club and Arthur Joubert.
The J’Bay Winter Festival and that of St Francis Bay fall during the school holidays. Print this Forthcoming Events’ Diary out and stick it on your fridge.
Social Events 3-13 July
Friends of the Heritage Centre: Dale Wright will talk about conservation at the Heritage Centre . RSVP Bridgette: 083 282 0017
Annual Cup of Soup event at Stix, Cape St Francis, from noon until 2 pm in aid of Cansa. Delicious, hot, homemade soups and breads will be on offer. Frozen soups to take away will also be on sale.
13 July: FSFFR – Friends of St Francis Fire and Rescue services Family Fun Day
- The exciting and fun SuperSpar St Francis Bay Box Car Race is more than a sport event; it is also one of the most fun, local social events for participants and for spectators. It is being held as part of the FSFFR Fun Family Day at the St Francis Links this year. Race starts at 9.30 am from the clubhouse. Registration: 8 am. Young and old are invited to build their own themed box car fire truck with three or four wheels but no engine. For more info: Sean Beard: 083 954 6315
- BPhotos, above: last year’s Box Car event in St Francis Bay, sponsored by St Francis Bay SuperSpar
- Minute to Win It! at St Francis Links: Take part in a series of 60-second challenges that use objects that are commonly available around the house. These games are designed for the whole family, from kids under the age of 10, youths and adults. This Blows | Balls of Fire | Unreel the Hose | Hot Air Rising |Fireman’s Snack | Fireman’s Pole | Stack the Coals | Fire in the Hole. There are 4 Surprise games on the day for Adults & Youth. Ensure you practice enough games to beat the clock! Info Jacky: 082 493 3836
- Quiz night games at the Links at 6.30 pm. For more info: Jacky: 082 493 3836
- Bake Off at the Links: Try your hand at baking a treat and stand a chance to win some great prizes. Starts at 12 pm. Home Baker, sweet or savoury or professional. You can also bake a ‘Fire’ themed cake to be raffled off for a good cause.
- There will also be market stalls and fire demos.
Sport Events 6-14 July
6 – 7 July:
Jacobsons EP Seniors at the St Francis Golf Club.
- JBay Cold Water Swim. Not for the faint-of-heart. Swimmers have to tackle long distances . Extreme swimmers will take on the challenge of a 7,5km swim, or a 2,5km swim. The swim will take place from the Infood Blu restaurant, which will also be having its official opening on the same day as the swim. Info: Brenton at 083 549 6795.
- Skins Fishing Competition JBay. Anglers can win R1000 per hour in this competition from 8 am to 2 pm between Dolphin Beach and the far side of the Kabeljous lagoon. Main prize is R6000 cash plus there is a prize for the biggest edible fish of the day and other prizes. Info: Sonya on 078 087 2806.
9 – 13 July:
Jeffreys Bay Open of Surfing presented by Billabong with around 40 surfers participating including top drawcard Australian surfer, Occy. There is a first prize of R30 000 for the surfing event. Nixon SA will be giving away a magnificent Nixon Magnacon watch in their ‘Winner Takes All’ event. The WTA is an award that will be going to the best tube ride of the entire event, and the Magnacon is valued at R9000. The Jeffreys Bay Open Of Surfing has a waiting period from 9-13 July and forms the anchor for the JBay Winter Fest.
An exciting sideline to the main J’Bay Open of Surfing event from will be the FFFF Friction Free Session. This surfing demo without fins, is orchestrated by the leading exponent in this discipline, Derek Hynd. Hynd has developed his Friction Free skills on the waves of Supertubes over the last few seasons and will lead this demo. He will be joined by a few hand-picked local surfers and possibly a few international guests.
10 – 13 July:
Tuna & Marlin Challenge at the St Francis harbour. Contact Garth Webb on email@example.com
Core Downhill Skateboarding (sokkie jol) downhill event will will showcase some of the finest skating talent in South Africa. It will take place at Sable Street, Jeffreys Bay. For further info contact Koffie at 084 515 7026.
12 – 13 July: FSFFR – Friends of St Francis Fire Charity weekend at St Francis Links – sports events.
- 12 July: There will be a fun Jumpathon. Participants can jump in family, friends’ or business’ groups for 24 hours. Starts 2 pm.
- 13 July:
- Parkrun & walk time trail at St Francis Links with Bruce Fordyce & Bob Norris. Marathon winner Bruce Fordyce will be at the Links to launch the first of the St Francis ‘parkrun’ events, which are free, weekly 5km time trails for runners and walkers every Saturday at the Links from 8 am. Fordyce and co-runner Bob Norris will participate in this first parkrun.
- SuperSpar St Francis Bay Box Car Race at 9.30 am from the Links clubhouse entrance(See info under Social Events, above)
- Golf Betterball, fun event at the Links. If you decorate your cart as a fire engine you stand to win a prize
- Funduro in J’Bay. Motorcycle event for novices and pros. Presented by the Rover Motorcycle Club and Slake Adventures on at Ranger’s, just past the Fountains Mall en route to the N2. Riders of all levels are welcome. Info: Roche on 076 135 9443.
- MTB Open JBay. Bikers will race through a scenic route of farms and bush. There is a strenuous 40 km or 90 km race, open to all categories, or a fun ride of 5km, open to all ages. Starts at 8 am at the Fountains Mall. Categories from 16 years to +60. Info: 654 7101 or Marius on 076 162 0893.
Flamingo Trail Run JBay. The 12 km run to Kabeljous Estuary and in the bush along the river. Starts at Supertubes, Pepper Street from noon. Info: Lindi at 076 760 1994
Follow St Francis Chronicle on Twitter: @stfranchronicle
All articles edited or written, all photos taken plus all adverts designed by the Editor and printed in the St Francis Chronicle are protected by the law of Copyright ©. Reproduction or copying of any part of the contents of this newspaper and its concept and design can only be done with the Editor’s written permission.
One Comment Add yours
Reblogged this on St Francis Chronicle.