Proof of residence required for drivers’ licences

Persons applying  for  drivers or vehicle licences are now required to submit proof of residence with their application to the Traffic Department.


This is in terms of amendments to the National Road Traffic Regulations, 2000,promulgated on October 31, 2014.  The amendments came into effect this week on 1 November 2015.


According to a media release from the Department of Transport, the purpose of the amendments, contained in Regulation 32A, is to ensure that all people registered on the eNaTIS traffic system receive their vehicle and driving licence renewal notices or any other traffic-related communications on time.


Only utility accounts ( i.e. residential electricity accounts) will be accepted as verification of applicants’ postal and residential addresses. In the event where the applicant is not the person in whose name the utility account is issued, the person in whose name the utility account has been issued must make an affidavit or affirmation declaring that the applicant resides at the address. The affidavit or affirmation must be accompanied by the utility account of the person in whose name it has been issued.


Applicants who reside at an informal settlement or in a rural area must submit a letter with an official date stamp from the ward councillor or local tribal authority confirming the postal and residential address of the applicant and/or an affidavit confirming proof of residential address.


Applicants are further reminded that proof of their full names, identity numbers or business registration numbers is also required. Any form of official identification can be used for this purpose, for example, a valid South African ID or passport or, in the case of foreign nationals, a traffic register number certificate.


Companies or close corporations are also required to submit proof of the full names, identity number or nationality of the proxy or the manager of the company and/or the person who is authorised to represent the company in all business relationships or to enter into a transaction on behalf of the company or close corporation, together with a duly completed proof of business address by any duly authorised person.

(Edited by St Francis Chronicle)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s