NSRI call-outs for body washed up, fire dancer catching alight and capsized rubber duck

From a body washed up to a fire dancer catching alight to a capsized rubber duck these were callouts at NSRI stations at Wilderness, Knysna and Melkbosstrand yesterday.


NSRI Wilderness volunteer sea rescue duty crew launched its sea rescue craft at 10.10 am yesterday, 10 August, following reports from fishermen at Ballots Bay of a body seen washed up on rocks.
The craft could  not reach the body in the rough seas and the Red Cross AMS Skymed 2 helicopter was called in to assist.
The body of a man was recovered by Skymed 2 and handed into the care of the Forensic Pathology Services and Police.
It is thought this may be the body of a fisherman that went missing and was presumed to have drowned on the 25 July off-shore of Thembalethu, near George, after being swept off rocks. Police are investigating.


Also yesterday a fire dancer aged in his late 30s caught alight while doing a fire dance and Knysna NSRI medics treated him for 1st and 2nd degree burns on his head and an ER24 ambulance transported the man to hospital in a serious but stable condition.
Graeme Harding, NSRI Knysna station commander, said: “We were requested to check on safety at a party being conducted at the Buffalo Bay caravan park .  While we were doing a routine safety check the man caught fire.

This party was apparently held by those in a surfing competition in the area at the moment.

“Following that incident we were called out following reports of two women and a child being swept down the Goukamma River,” Harding said. Our NSRI rescue crew initiated a search and police divers were activated.
“Just after 9 pm we located the three of them (a 29 year-old, a 27 year-old and a 3 year-old daughter of one lady) on the other side of the river at the river mouth. They were safely ashore and we called out to them to stay where they were while we drove around to their side of the river. On arrival we treated them for mild hypothermia. They were brought to safety,” Harding said.
In other Knysna news, Harding relates that NSRI Knysna today (Sunday) are continuing to assist at the Kiani Satu ship that ran aground near Buffels Bay on Friday 9 August.
NSRI Knysna’s role is to provide on scene safety stand-by while salvage operations progress and sea rescue craft and sea rescue volunteers from NSRI Knysna will remain involved and on-scene for safety until they are released by SAMSA (South African Maritime safety Authority). NSRI sea rescue craft are launched each time helicopters come in to conduct hoisting operations at the ship.
NSRI will not be giving updates on the progress of the salvage operation as this falls under SAMSA.


NSRI Melkbosstrand on Saturday rescued two 2 men, aged 28 and 30, and a woman aged 25 from Melkbosstrand after their rubber duck capsized 150 metres offshore of Melkbostrand.
NSRI Melkbosstrand sea rescue craft happened to be less than a minute away from where the incident happened at 4.50 pm and they were quickly ‘on-scene’.
The trio were brought to shore and treated for mild hypothermia but otherwise were uninjured.
NSRI Melkbosstrand then returned to the scene and recovered their casualty boat.
The three had no safety equipment and were not wearing life-jackets and the close proximity of the NSRI Melkbosstrand sea rescue craft at the time played a vital role in the success of this rescue operation. The casualties have been advised on what safety equipment they should carry as standard equipment and to wear their life-jackets at all times while on water.


Follow St Francis Chronicle on Twitter: @stfranchronicle

All articles edited or written, all photos taken plus all adverts designed by the Editor and printed in the St Francis Chronicle are protected by the law of Copyright ©. Reproduction or copying of any part of the contents of this newspaper and its concept and design can only be done with the Editor’s written permission