NSRI to the rescue of people in rip currents or washed off rocks

NSRI volunteer duty crew were hard at work today responding to call-outs from members of the public, local residents and visitors.

STATION 23, Wilderness

 At 9 am NSRI Wilderness volunteers were called out for two teenagers who were caught in a rip current at the Kaaimans river mouth.

 According to Wilderness duty coxswain, Garth Dominy, people at the Dolphin Point lookout site above the Kaaimans river saw a 16 year-old George girl  pulled out to sea by a strong rip current. Her friend, a 16 year-old boy from Brakpan, swam to her assistance and managed to help her to shore on the Western side cliff face of the Kaaimans.

 The 4,2 metre Sea Rescue boat Serendipity was launched but could not get close to the two teenagers, who were trapped on the cliff face, because of large 3,5 metre waves. 

 The WC Government EMS Air Mercy Service helicopter, Skymed, was dispatched from Oudtshoorn to help. An ER24 ambulance, Metro ambulance and municipal lifeguards were also on scene.

 The girl, who was in a serious condition, was winched into the helicopter and flown to Wilderness beach where she was transferred to an ambulance and treated for near drowning symptoms. 

The boy was then fetched by helicopter and also transfered to Wilderness beach. He was released and needed no further help.

 STATION 5, Durban:

 Durban NSRI duty crew were called at 7.30 am this morning to assist the SAP Search & Rescue unit to search for a 10 year-old boy who went missing on the Umgeni river approximately 1.8 km upstream of the Inanda dam. 

A 10 year old boy’s body has been recovered form the Umgeni river. Picture Clifford Ireland/NSRI.

Last night the SAP  were unable to find the boy.

According to NSRI Durban station commander, Clifford Ireland, Durban NSRI volunteers worked with the SAP Search & Rescue dive unit using NSRI rafts in the river and recovered the boys body at 12h.30 p m.

 STATION 9, Gordons Bay

 At 10.26 the Gordons Bay duty crew were called out to a fisherman who was washed off the rocks at Pringle Bay. 

According to Gordons Bay station commander, Nigel Pepperell, two fisherman were laying crayfish traps about 1,5 km from Pringle Bay (on the Rooiels side) when a big wave washed the one man off the rocks. He was unable to get back to safety and his companion called for help. 

 The Sea Rescue boat Spirit of Surfski was towed from Gordons Bay and launched at Hangklip. The WC Government EMS Air Mercy Service helicopter was also dispatched from Cape Town International Airport. The sea conditions were very bad with a 2 to 3 metre swell.

Sea Rescue volunteers conducted an intense shore search as well as from the NSRI boat and helicopter.  Visibility in the water was also very bad and after a three hour intensive search the operation was called off and handed over to the SAP.

 STATION 4, Mykonos:

 At 4.02 pm Station 4 Mykonos were called out for a drowning in progress at Tooth Rock near Jacobsbaai ( Between Saldanha and Vredenberg) on the West Coast.

 According to NSRI station commander Gerard Brune, the family of a man, who was believed to be cray fishing, called the SAP in Saldanha to say the he had been washed of the rocks.

 The NSRI Mykonos duty crew towed the rescue craft TNPA Rescuer One to Weskus Plek, near Jacobsbaai and launched there with a paramedic from SA Paramedic services on board. 

 A Metro ambulance and SA Paramedic Services ambulance also responded.

 The fisherman’s body was found at Tooth Rock floating face down in the water and was declared dead on scene. His body was handed to the SAP.


All articles edited or written, all photos taken plus all adverts designed by the Editor and printed in the St Francis Chronicle are protected by the law of Copyright ©.  Reproduction or copying of any part of the contents of this newspaper and its concept and design can only be done with the Editor’s written permission.