Below zero temps, snow and flash floods expected this weekend
Below freezing weather conditions, heavy snowfalls, flash floods and road closures are predicted for this weekend from Storms River to Port Elizabeth.
This warning came after a Port Elizabeth Disaster Management Services called all concerned services to an emergency meeting regarding weather predictions for the Weekend. According to JL Retief, Acting Control Provincial Inspector, Port Elizabeth, who put out the warning, ”the SA National Weather Services has provided this early weather warning as the similarity between the two High pressure systems south of the country and a developing Low pressure system over the far Northern-Western interior is very similar to the systems of the 1968 floods in Port Elizabeth and surrounding areas.”
The following predictions were made at the Disaster Management meeting today:
* Light rain is forecast as from today Wednesday over the entire Cacadu region which will further saturate the already saturated ground.
* Minimum temperatures are to plummet to below freezing point inland as from Thursday evening and Heavy Snow Falls are expected with Road closures in all mountain passes in the region except for Olifantskop pass. Graaff Reinet to monitor the passes as from this evening Wednesday.
* Heavy Rain (100%) is expected as from Thursday evening in Storms River area to reach Port Elizabeth by Friday Noon and spread further east as it progresses. An average of 100 mm is expected from Friday Noon to Saturday evening throughout the region of Cacadu.
* Due to the already saturated groundwater flash flooding is expected in low laying areas. Roads are expected to be water logged and special care be given to fast lanes were vehicles could aquaplane.
* All stations are to monitor all rural roads and report any problems to emergency services.
* Any storm systems will affect all outdoor activities in the region
Everyone is advised and warned to take care.
Emergency Numbers to contact in the St Francis area:
SAPS 042 200 1817/ 10111
042 294 0038
G4S 042 294 1303
0861 10 15 16
NSRI 042 294 0131
Doctor 042 294 0719
Ambulance 10177; Private Ambulance:042 291 0749
042 291 0283